Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vietnamese sticky rice with chinese sausage, dried shrimp, pork floss (Xôi mặn)


Sticky rice with Chinese sausage, dried shrimp and shredded chicken is my favorite all time breakfast because it's yummy, easy and quick to make. Actually I've never been an oatmeal, cereal or even a pastry girl. I like my breakfast meaty and carby, that's why sometimes my husband worried about me when I'm starving to death, even though I'm surrounded by food.

Sticky Rice (Xoi) is one of those things that my mum used to make on special occasions like birthday, Tet (Lunar New Year) or death anniversaries because traditionally the sticky rice needs to steam for about 45 minutes in a steamer and you need to drizzle it with water and/or coconut milk. But that's just not my style. I prefer to cook something quick and nice. 

If you search the recipe for Xoi on the internet, you will find a lot of recipes out there, all of them will show you how to cook rice by soaking in the water for overnight, drain then steam it. My version is much quicker by using the rice cooker to cook sticky rice but it still comes out yummy. If you are busy and wanna try the new version, I think you will like it.

Here is the recipe for you to try
Serving: 2 people

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup glutinous rice 
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 links of Chinese Sausage, thinly sliced diagonally
  • 1 boneless chicken breast/thigh, cut into thin slices (Optional)
  • 2 tbs small dried shrimp, soaked in water for about 30min, then drained
  • Pork floss Ruoc/cha bong (Optional)
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 onion thinly diced
  • fried shallots
  • 1.5  tbsp soy sauce
  • 2tbsp Olive oil 
  • 3tbsp of Coco Rico
Directions:

1.  Wash and rinse the rice under cold running water. Then drain. Put the sticky rice, water + 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce, 1tbsp of Olive oil into a rice cooker. Cook until done.

2.  Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat, add the white part of green onions then stir until fragrant, add the Chinese sausage and stir for 30 seconds, add Coco Rico, reduce to low heat and simmer until it thickens (The coco rico makes the sausage juicy and yummy). Add dried shrimp, then stir for about 1 minutes, add salt, soy sauce and sugar to taste.

3. When the sticky rice is done, place it in a bowl. Add the sauteed mixture and mix well. When serving, top with pork floss (ruoc/cha bong) and fried shallots.

You can simply place it on a dish but I put the sticky rice on the banana leaves when it's hot. It's more fragrant and tastes good. It reminds me of my childhood.

1 comment:

  1. It is a quick way to make sticky rice Chị. I will try after I succeed in my diet.

    ReplyDelete