We love Tiramitsu. In Italian, It name literally means "pick me up". This perfectly describes the elements of this dessert - strong coffee with a caffeine hit, liquor, creamy mascarpone cheese, and the essential dusting of cocoa powder. Yesterday, my mom in law came over for dinner, so I decided to make chicken curry for main course and Tiramitsu for dessert. As i said, I'm a newbie in the kitchen and all the foods i posted here are from my frist time, and if i can do it, so can you :)
The traditional way to make Tiramitsu using raw eggs makes me have some salmonella concerns, although i bought Organic, grad AA, cage free eggs - so I cooked the eggs in a double boiler. My husband doesnt like liquor except Amaretto, and this wine is perfect for my Tiramitsu.
Below is the recipe for you to try:
1 cup mascarpone cheese (250g)
3 egg yolks
1 package ladyfingers
4 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons Amaretto (more or less to your taste)
1/4 cup whipped cream
1 cup strong espresso coffee, cooled
3 egg whites
cocoa powder or peeled chocolate (for garnish)
1. Combine egg yolks, 2 tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of Amaretto in the top of a double boiler. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. Keep on whisking the eggs mixture for about 10minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
2. Use a hand mixer and beat the mascarpone cheese with the egg mixture until smooth.
3. Combine the egg white, 2 tbsp of sugar, mix until the egg mixture becomse creamy and foamy then fold into the cheese mixture
4. Beat the whipped cream until soft peaks form; fold into the cheese mixture.
5. Dip the lady fingers in the coffee and Amaretto mixture (do not soak) and then lay them flat side down on the bottom of a glass that is about 2 inches high. Repeat until the bottom of the glass is covered. Sprinkle with the remaining grated chocolate or the cocoa powder. Cover the glass and refrigerate.